Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Diana F+ - Adventures in Lens Testing

I am officially 2 rolls into my lens testing project. I shot a roll of 120 Fuji Velvia with the 110mm lens and a roll of 120 Efke IR with the 38mm lens. I dropped the IR off for developing today and now I am completely freaking out. I can not tell you how worried I am. I spent hours and hours looking up tid bits about IR shooting, and the most consistent answer I found was to shoot it at 1-2 seconds in full sun at f 16 with an IR filter and tripod. That translates into "partial clouds" on the Diana F+. I was able to borrow a proper IR filter (87C) from a friend and have my brother's old tripod. I took along my notebook to jot down notes. I was feeling prepared and excited!

Having just shot my last 3 frames this afternoon, I am completely convinced I totally fucked this roll up. First off, I forgot to advance the film 3 times on this roll! Twice today. I can't believe I did that. I don't think I've had that problem yet. Then the first few frames of the roll my shutter release cable kept sticking open. I forgot to check it first before I put it on, so it was in the lock position, and therefore stayed open after I released it. Doh! I think I was letting my careful preparation & nerves get the best of me. These are horrible, simple mistakes.

I am completely worried that I have overexposed most of the shots. I was keeping the 1-2 second rule in my mind, but the first few frames are at least 3 seconds due to the shutter release issue, and some of the last couple frames are double exposed on top of having a longer shutter time - 5 seconds. What am I thinking?

I really wanted to test this roll out at varying shutter times to get a better idea of what these shots would look like. I don't know why I thought 5 seconds or even 9 seconds was a good idea. The first day I shot was a bit hazy, but the sun was out & today was sunny. I am afraid these are all going to come back blank. That leaves me with 6 shots out of 12 I am holding out hope to come back nice. This is not a cheap hobby so I am really freaked out about it. Now I'm looking forward and at the same time dreading Friday when I pick the roll up.

No comments:

Post a Comment