Friday, October 7, 2011

Italia! Capri & Sorrento

The third day of our vacation. Up early again and off to Isola di Capri. More thunderstorms last night. We had to walk from the tour bus down to the water front. Sorrento is on somewhat of a cliff. As soon as we started walking, it started raining. I had my umbrella, but was very unprepared. Wet feet (I was wearing flip-flops), breezy but the water was actually pretty warm. Saw a rainbow on the way.


The ferry over was horrible. Choppy water made the boat take all sorts of crazy dives and I was feeling anxious and tense and slightly nauseous. When we arrived, we went on a boat tour along the island. I thought it would be alright, but the water still rocked the boat too much. So very nauseous most of the way. We stopped to see the red corral grotto, white grotto and I Faraglioni, where we were able to go swimming in the Tyrrhenian Sea. I felt the most nauseous here, but still went in. The water was warm and extremely salty - not pleasant in the mouth, but it was so fun and the water was so gorgeously blue. Back on the boat and sick again. I am staring up at these beautiful places & feel wretched. I am counting the landmarks until we are back on land. From the water they point out to us the top of these cliffs, the setting for Tiberius' home and where he would invite his enemies over under the guise of peace, but where he would push them over into the sea, to their death. Grim!


We walked around the bottom portion of the island. More pizza - mediocre, but found an amazing coffee shop for lattes and dessert. They brought us beautiful frothed milk separately to add to our coffee. I have no idea what the dessert I ate was, but it was slightly lemony and delicious. We had an Australian waiter who asked us what we were doing later. Getting on a ferry boat in an hour but that made me smile.


Much time spent wandering which is a nice easy change of pace, then back on the boat for the ride back to the main land. The water was a thousand times better and a couple on the tour with us were generous enough to give me some nausea gum. That night after freshening up and relaxing, we took the public bus into Sorrento, and found a nice place to eat outside. I had some very bland Pasta Arrabiata. I thought every meal I had in Italy would be amazing, but that has not been the case. We walked around for a short while then back on the bus to the hotel. I wished we had more time to bum around Sorrento. It's quaint and there are a lot shops and restaurants. There's a good atmosphere in the air.

1 comment:

  1. Hahah, I have a picture of me swimming there too. Amazing! Sorry about the boat ride though. BEAUTIFUL sunset shot!

    ReplyDelete