I really should take the effort to write while the ideas are still fresh in my mind, but oh how time slips away! I went to see Midnight in Paris on Sunday & had all these ideas & thoughts floating around in my head about why I liked it so much & all the little quirks & niches about it that made it so great. Now, I'm not sure if I'll get there, but I'll give it a little try.
I loved this movie. There were so many little moments that make this film great. From the epic shots of Paris & beyond, down to Owen Wilson's watch reading midnight. I spent a couple weeks in Paris a few years ago & just shot after shot in this film brought back feelings of how lovely & beautiful it is & oh I've been there! A true pleasure was seeing a brief scene in my absolute favorite place on Earth - Monet's House & Gardens. It's seriously gorgeous there and had a complete pull on me when I went that it felt like home, so when I saw the little bits of it, my heart skipped a beat. There is a scene at Versailles, and in the background I see this fountain that I adore, Apollon's Fountain. Even though they didn't shoot near it, I saw it there & the thought remains with me how magnificent it is.
I've always really enjoyed the majority of Woody Allen films, but this particularly hits a real point and how it is gone about showing that point to us is pretty creative & fun. People are often nostalgic. People often think the grass is always greener on the other side. Sometimes we need to realize what is worth chasing & what is just a fantasy.
I love the never-ending parade of artists & literary greats. I loved the characters. There are so many funny moments in this film. I found myself wondering about the road Rachel McAdams' character goes down. As she gets closer & closer to the end of the film, I'm left wondering if she was written that way so Owen Wilson's actions are more justified, or if it is only that way to drive home the point about their relationship.
Maybe why I like this one so much is because it takes a page out of The Purple Rose of Cairo, another Allen film I adore. Maybe I too just like escapism.
Tuesday, June 14, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hi Kelly
ReplyDeleteI also love movies, I have not seen this movie, but I loved your review and I'm anxious to see.
Good week
Bia