Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Art & Keanu Reeves

Yes, it's true. I went with my Keanu Reeves loving friends to go to his book signing at LACMA. That was the first thing that popped in my head when I was told about the event. A book signing? Turns out, Keanu Reeves has released an art book with artist Alexandra Grant called Ode to Happiness. We weren't sure what it'd be like, but we of course had to go. Buying the book wasn't required to sit in on the Q&A session but I did end up buying one. Even for the arts, I think the book is way overpriced, especially for content. It's a cool book, don't get me wrong & I love the way it was put together, but it seriously cost some money. We all got our books signed so that's pretty cool, and hearing the back story to how the book was made really helped me like the book more.

Image: © Alexandra Grant

So apparently it all started out when Keanu Reeves was at a friend's party. As he's noticing that his friends are listening to sad music, he begins to jokingly doodle on a napkin, writing a poem that starts, I draw a hot sorrow bath in my despair room. The friend ends up emailing the poem to an artist friend, Alexandra Grant, who then creates some images to go along with his poem. The two make a book for Keanu (on green paper), and gift it to him to make him laugh. After many requests and interest for the book, they decide to publish it. The publisher, Gerhard Steidl was also at the book signing & as he spoke about the process you can tell he is a man very passionate about art. Overall the book reads as an adult's children's book, but even with the sad context, you get that feeling that it's all very tongue in cheek, funny and sweet.

My friends and I enjoyed the museum for a bit as well, although Katie was hilariously sticking to the room where Keanu was signing books until he left. Fortunately for her and Heather, we got to see him again as we happen to be walking up the street and out he comes from the side entrance of the museum with everyone. On a side note, Alexandra Grant was a very happy, glowing & beautiful woman.



Above, some of Jeff Koons' work. I find a lot of his stuff ridiculous but who knows what pop art is really. I do however, love these pieces. I saw his exhibit when I went to Versailles. That was a really strange thing. The giant dog makes me happy every time though.

We of course spent some time hanging out around the lamp posts. I am not that happy with the photos I got, but I'm not really sure what I was expecting.


http://www.alexandragrant.com/
http://www.lacma.org/

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kelly!

    I like your blog! I really like Keanu Reeves too, for various reasons, in my blog has a post about it there and explain why I admire.

    I'm from Brazil and here I am studying English and so I like to make friends with people from other countries to learn and study the language and know their culture, if you want to know me and follow me I'll be very happy.

    My blog:
    www.biapensamentos.blogspot.com.

    Have a great weekend!!!

    Kisses

    Bia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bia! I'll be sure to look at your blog. You're English is really good already! :)

    ReplyDelete