Monday, September 28, 2009

I still buy cds

I wouldn't mind the extra space on my shelf and I probably could easily get rid of a ton of cds I don't listen to anymore. I have most if not all of my cds on my computer. I could get rid of them, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Maybe it's the fear that I'd lose my digital music collection & not have those cds there like some insurance policy. Maybe I have problems getting rid of stuff. But mostly, I just like owning a cd, a lot of times for the artwork, but for that solid physical copy. Sure, it's on iTunes and my iPod, but I'm still driving around in a car equipped with a cd player and those cds help me survive the often horrible radio options LA has to offer. I could save myself a few dollars, buy it online, burn a cd... but there's just something missing. And I love when the band makes the extra effort to make their albums not just music, but art.

Bringing us to the last two cds I bought - Red Knife Lottery's Soiled Soul & Rapture and Every Time I Die's New Junk Aesthetic.

I first discovered Red Knife Lottery's music after getting a flier after a show, The Blood Brothers at the Roxy I think and that flier sat on my desk for a long long time without checking them out, mainly b/c the artwork on it was so nice that I thought at some point I might cut it up & paste it on a letter. I was a little put off by their choice of a band name, probably due to the fact that I was a big fan of The Casket Lottery & thought Red Knife Lottery didn't make much sense. A couple years went by, I finally listened to them and glad I did. So Much Drama being a fantastic song & making me wish I hadn't waited so long. I finally got around to buying their EP this year (which was released in 2005), happily to soon be followed by their first full length. I guess I should be glad I didn't have to wait all those years for the full length to come out. The new album brings a more rounded feel to their songs & I especially like Raise No Fool. Do yourself a favor & check it out. The band still remind me a lot in parts of The Blood Brothers & Pretty Girls Make Graves. I can hear a lot of similarities in their music, but I think the Red Knife Lottery make it their own & here's hoping someone notices.

I popped in ETID's new album & straight off the bat I notice they've gotten back to a more heavier sound, which I was happy to hear. I started listening to this band in college probably around the year 2000 (lol! the year 2000...) and since I went to school an hour from Buffalo, they came through town a lot. I've seen them play in lodges in the park, at bars, at larger venues. I heard someone once refer to them as "fashion core", which I can't say I ever really agreed with or understood. They certainly have gone through some kind of progression with their albums, from straight up screaming hardcore to more rock 'n roll but each time they put out an album & I'm not sure if I like the direction they've gone, they win me over every time. Plus their videos are usually pretty hilarious & fun to watch. I haven't seen them perform in quite a while but I certainly would like to. You have to hand it to them, they're creative & they seem to have fun with it.


www.redknifelottery.com
www.myspace.com/redknifelottery
www.myspace.com/everytimeidie

No comments:

Post a Comment