Sunday, August 30, 2009

Free Concerts Rock My Wednesday



Wednesday started off with little sleep & heading downtown mid morning to meet up with Athena. Jack White set up shop at the Regent Theater for a few days selling records, vinyl, etc & played a free show with The Dead Weather. I've heard a song or two of theirs & wasn't really into their sound but I like The White Stripes & The Kills so I figure I'd enjoy the show. There was a ridiculous wait in line, for those of us who did wait in line to get in, standing in the blistering hot direct sun, sweat dripping down your back, down your legs then standing in a run down theater that is also hot... the complete downside to the show, but they are quite amazing live & were totally worth seeing. I don't think I'm going to run out & buy their record, but their talent & performance are quite something. A real rock band for sure. I took a couple videos but the sound is pretty blown out at times. My new camera's audio/mic sucks so bad. My old camera had great audio but the video sucked. Will I ever get the best of both worlds?








Later that day I picked Athena up & we headed over to The Grove where Gavin Rossdale was performing for free. If you knew me in 1995, you know that I completely loved him & Bush. I don't feel as strongly about him as I used to, but the man is still pretty hot. He played a lot of Bush songs, a few solo songs & a cover of Landslide (Fleetwood Mac). Now that I think about it there was a time when I was supposed to see Fleetwood Mac in 1997 that didn't pan out & I may have somewhere an unused ticket to their concert. So sad. I did however get to film the Mick Fleetwood Band a few years ago, so that was pretty cool. Anyway, I was super excited b/c I knew that Gwen Stefani was going to be there & was hoping to see them in a non-concert setting. She was next to the stage during the show, but I just never saw her. That man can sing & it was a lot of fun even if I had to suffer through watching Varsity Fanclub perform. It amazes me that young girls love that stuff. I was barely ever into New Kids On The Block & that was the boy band around when I was young. I didn't own any of their music but I knew their songs & thought Joey was cute & that's where it ended. I don't think I would've gone crazy over them. Thankfully! I also took some video at the show & again, the noise is not the best. I guess it depends on the setting?




www.thedeadweather.com
www.gavinrossdale.com

No comments:

Post a Comment